Friday, August 15, 2008

Vespas, Espressos and Gelled Hair

I've weighed myself for the first time since leaving London, and since I've worked in Switzerland I've lost around 7 or 8 lbs. I did it. I lost the fat. I'm a Fat Loser. And the Jeremy in Canada would have had a problem with this, because he in fact liked the pudge, and always tried to GAIN weight, to add that little extra bigness... When I try to explain this to anybody in this country, and probably the four countries surrounding this country, I'm met by stupified looks. In fact, when I told a coworker that I always like to have a little bit of a belly, she said it was the first time she had ever heard that in her life. Well if cultureshock was made out of lobsters, we would all be enjoying a fine bowl of bisque. And thats no joke.
And wouldnt you know it, body shape isnt the only thing seen differently here. Take modes of transportation. A german womens magazine recently did a poll to find out the sexiest vehicle a man can use. You know what it was? Vespa. The f*ckin Faggio. This thing, in a Canadians eyes, is probably the single gayest thing a dude can ride around on, besides the seatless bicycle. But to women here, they connect it to easy, summer attitudes, clubs, and general breezy surfer bullshit. And of course, the longer I live with these people, the more I want to drive a Vespa. I mean damn theyre like a quarter of the price of a regular motorcycle innit?
You know what else? I drink ESPRESSOS now. And wine! Wine, which to me, all used to taste like crappy cheese or old french toilet water! I can tell if its corked, the varying tastes and smells, and I even have a favorite. Amarone. Its very exquisite, Italian, made from dried grapes and YOU probably cant afford it.
So is this bad? I think if Jeremy from 3 years ago saw me gelling my hair and having shoes specifically for the club, he would laugh. But then again, that Jeremy wasnt getting many girls' numbers, was he?
Anyhow, when in Rome. Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're kind of a jerk now...

Tim McKenna-Bolton said...

Ahahaha! I remember when you went for your first little 3-week foray into Euroland - when you returned home from that short excursion, you had already sprouted a faux-hawk.
Now I can see that the tumour has spread to your brain and has become inoperable...good-bye, my brother.